“I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” –Mother Teresa-
Euless First United Methodist Church has had many years of involvement in supporting our neighbor South Euless Elementary School. But we have now taken it a step further and have “officially” become their partner through the HEB ISD Adopt-A-School program!
Here are a few facts you may not realize about South Euless Elementary:
- over 800 children attend the school
- it is culturally diverse, with approximately ¼ each black, white, Hispanic & Asian/Tongan
- it is rated #3 of the Top Ten Elementary Schools in Texas
- the school is celebrating its 100th Anniversary this year
- 70% of its students live below the poverty line
The principal, counselor and nurse have brainstormed about how Euless FUMC might best be able to help their students and their #1 request of us is to provide mentors to eat lunch with a child who never has a parent able to come. This would simply involve driving to the school and spending a 30-minute lunch period one-on-one with a child…once a week, once a month, whatever! There will be other needs as the school year progresses, but for now this is their most urgent request of us.
For further information please contact Lynne Moffatt, Risk-Taking Mission & Service Chairman, Rev. Beverly Springer in the church office.